Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Spotify won't minimize to tray: Solution (or well, workaround)

Edit: Seems like they've added it back!

The people at Spotify decided to listen to people complaining about the "X" button doing something counter-intuitive (minimizing to tray instead of closing) by removing that functionality completely, to many other users' frustration.
Personally, I would have added an option so that the "-" button could either minimize to tray or to taskbar... but they decided to not do that. Which meant that I haven't used the app in a week, because I kept closing it and it kept distracting me from actual work by just being in the taskbar (I have it set to "never combine" and it fills up quickly!).
Today, I learned that this was intentional and not a weird quirk of my system, so I decided to go look for a solution online, another way of making an app minimize to tray. And I found this post!

So, download RBTray from here, unzip it, find the version of Windows you're running and run the executable. Then you can right-click on the "-" in Spotify, and it'll go where it SHOULD BE. Phew!

And it works for most other apps too, so you could clean your taskbar even more! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment