Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Mac OS Finder Sidebar - Want the bookmark icons colored? Read on!

I just restarted my computer and was stuck again in no-color land for my Finder Bookmarks. I do not get their choice of making them all, well, basically the same. I know they wanted to be slick and all, but I find it just so confusing (and I miss previous Finder versions where the color of your icon could tell you automatically what you needed to click on). But enough of the editorial: if you're here you probably feel the same!

To get your wonderful color-coded icons back, you need to install a small program. You could download SIMBL, but I remember having problems with it, so download EasySIMBL.
Then download ColorfulSidebar and follow their instructions (basically open EasySIMBL and drag-and drop the ColorfulSidebar bundle there or in the SIMBL plugins folder). Make sure the bundle file is checked in the list, and also check "use SIMBL" at the top.

I think you may have to restart Finder (Either login and logout of Mac OS X, or just kill the Finder through the Terminal to relaunch it: killall Finder) though it worked automatically for me this time (I didn't go through the install process again, I just had to check "use SIMBL" after restarting my Mac).

Enjoy the colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment